Day 1: Transfer by ITEP Van from Cusco to Train station, later train service to Km 104 “Inca Trail Entrance”.
Meals: Box Lunch and dinner.
Accommodation: Hotel, “Camping on request”.
Distance: 16kms/10 mls (6 hours more or less of hiking)
Walking Time: Approximately 6 hours (including picnic and lunch in route)
Walk and Terrain: Walk, canter, on open roads, some steep ascending trails
*** We only take ITEP Eco Travel clients in our vans / cars – We do not use public transport.
Trekking Km 104 “Chachabamba to Inti Punku, the Sun Gate” – Machupicchu Guided Tour ends in the afternoon Train back and final Transfer to Cusco.
Today Our Inca Trail day trek take us along the most impressive stretch of the Inca Trail to Machupicchu. We will visit beautiful Inca sites, see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take the fantastic panoramas of the Andes Mountains. Covering 16km of the trail our journey begins in the Sacred Valley and works, it is the way up along an original Inca Trail to the Inca site of Wiñay Wayna “forever young” before continuing to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku).
As we make our way to Machu Picchu we'll pass through the lush and verdant cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a variety of plants, flowers and birds along the way. We may also see some larger mammals such as Vizcachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full day Inca trekking, we will arrive to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the middle day and get our first views of Machu Picchu, spread out on the mountain below. The light at this time of day is great for photos and with fewer tourists in the site; it's a perfect time to take some pictures. After we have passed through the Sun Gate we'll continue our last part of the Inca way that leads us to Machupicchu Inca city. “Free time for rest and Picture”.
We will begin a guided tour of the Inca City of Machupicchu; you will learn a lot about the Incas and will visit all the most important areas of the Inca citadel.
Back to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes by bus (included) and later board the Expedition train to the Ollantaytambo Train Station where you will meet our private van and be transferred to your hotel in Cusco arriving around 10:30pm “time can vary according train schedule”.
End of our Services
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your royal Inca Trail guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. The meeting will be at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins. In case you can’t come at this time “please let us know” to coordinate another time.
- Touristic Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco in the morning and will travel by private transportation to Ollantaytambo Train Station.
- Touristic Train Expedition Service: Train leaves from Ollantaytambo Train Station until Chachabamba “Km 104” the starting point of the Short Inca Trail to Machupicchu. Optional upgrade for Vistadome Train at extra cost.
- Adventure Experienced Short Inca Trail Tour Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. They all grew up in this region and have a true passion to teach others about their heritage. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route, including leading your group in ancient ceremonies! He or she will keep you safe, sound and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time along the inca path and will ensure you are safe and happy..
- Tour Guide in Machupicchu Cultural Experienced: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. For visit the sacred city of Machupicchu.
- Overnight in Machupicchu Village: Is not needed
- Entry ticket to The Short Inca Trail “Sun Gate to Machupicchu”
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu Inka Site
- Meals: 1 Lunch, (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost) Please be in mind (1st breakfast and last lunch after Machupicchu 2nd day of trek is not included”
- Water: Inka Trail Expeditions Perú will supply all the water needed only at our office in Cusco “for your 1st day trek”, after you arrive to Machupicchu Village/Aguas Calientes, you will be able to find plenty shops and restaurants. You must supply your own water bottles or camel back. We recommend carrying about 3L worth.
- Medical kit and Oxygen bottle: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Train tickets back: From Aguas Calientes “Machupicchu village” to Ollantaytambo train station (departure time is confirmed the day of briefing and it´s subject to availability)
- Transfer back to Cusco: Private touristic transport from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco (Day 1)
- 24-hour guest service: We have telephone service available 24 hours/day for ease of communication and preparation with the agency leading up to your trek.
- Bus Concetur from Machupicchu inca City: Most of the times the wait to board the bus to Machupicchu is from 1 hour to 1:30 min, So we prefer that you decide a day before your visit to the Inca city of Machupicchu. If you wish to take the bus considering the waiting time. Or if you prefer to do the last stretch of ascent walking up 45 to 1 hour "everything will depend on your physical state, after the trekking done".
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Sacred Mountain
- Panoramic Vistado train
- Meals in Machupicchu village: Dinner In Aguas Calientes. Approx. Usd 20 to 25.00, Price can vary according your selection.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish “Recommendation usd 6 to usd 8 per day per traveler for all the trek staff”- Once again it is optional and can vary according your satisfaction.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.
- Original Passport
- Day Pack
- Full rain gear or poncho
- Gloves (thin riding and warm gloves)
- Headlamp Sunglasses
- Hiking Socks Sunscreen
- Insect repellent Bathing suit
- Trekking pants
- Breathable dry fit top-wear
- Comfortable shoes/flip-flops
- Cold-weather jacket
- Long-sleeve fleece/sweater Wool hat
- Hiking boots
- Baseball cap, sombrero and bandana
- Headlamp Sunglasses
- Hiking Socks Sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Bathing suit
- Casual mountains wear for evenings
- Photo/video cameras and chargers
- Refillable water bottle (hydration bags are recommended)