Day 1: LIMA – Free Day. (City tour or Pachamac optional)
Welcome, reception and transfer to the selected hotel
Overnight in Lima.
Day 2: FULL DAY PARACAS & ICA
2:50 – Pickup time from hotel.
We will pick you up at the hotel and transfer you to the bus station to Paracas. The bus will leave at approximately 4:00 am and after 3 hours, we will arrive in Paracas.
8:00am after a nice welcome in Paracas, we will start the Ballestas Islands Tour. From the Paracas resort, you can visit the Ballestas Islands by boat, where sea lions, guano birds, penguins and a diversity of marine fauna live. In the course of the tour, you will see a very enigmatic figure, El Candelabro, immortalized on the side of a hill, is a geoglyph of rocky formation eroded by the wind and the sea. It measures about 120 meters long and is also known as the Three Crosses or Trident. The best way to appreciate it is from the sea.
Around noon, we will take the bus back to Paracas and head to Ica for about 3 hours. When we arrive in Ica we will continue with the tubular excursions in the dunes of the Huacachina, being a fantastic adventure in the middle of the desert where we will enjoy the high and low dunes and where you will be able to feel the adrenaline on these natural roller coasters of the desert.
In the same route by the desert you will be able to practice the sandboarding, our guide will instruct you so that you can do it of safe form and if in case you do not have experience in this sport, our guide will instruct it in such a way that you will feel safe to do it.
At about 06:00 pm we will take the bus to Ica where we will spend the night.
Overnight in Ica.
Day 3: NAZCA LINES OVERFLIGHT – AREQUIPA
Breakfast at hotel.
At the agreed time in the morning, we will pick you up from the hotel and leave for the Nazca airfield where we will board a light aircraft for an unforgettable aerial excursion over the Nazca Lines.
Our bilingual guide (Spanish / English) will assist you at all times until you board the plane.
This flight over the Nazca Lines will extend over most of the famous lines located in the Nazca Desert, whose surface is marked by the gigantic drawings and geometric figures that you will be able to appreciate along the way.
The flight over the Nazca Lines is for approximately 35 minutes and this is the best way to appreciate the extraordinary and fascinating intrinsically drawn lines that have been a mystery for many years. We will be able to appreciate the different figures drawn on the surface of the Nazca Desert, with perfectly stylized animal and plant representations, distributed in a large maze of lines, trapezoids, triangles and spirals that have lasted for almost 2000 years. This place is one of the most incredible legacies that a culture has left behind and that can only be appreciated from the sky at an altitude of 1500 feet.
At the end of the flight, we will have time to have lunch and take a bus to Arequipa at 2:30 pm, arriving at our destination at approximately 11:30 pm.
We will be assisted on our arrival in Arequipa and transferred to the hotel where we will spend the night.
Overnight in Arequipa
Day 4: AREQUIPA RELAX
Breakfast at the hotel.
Free day to rest or take some optional and additional activities in the city.
Overnight in Arequipa
Day 5: AREQUIPA – CHIVAY – LA CALERA HOT SPRINGS
Breakfast at the hotel.
08:00am - 08:30am
At the scheduled hour of departure to Chivay.
We will begin the tour by the road to Yura, where we will admire the natural and cultural landscape of that zone. We will border the majestic volcano Chachani and we will continue by the National Reserve of Salt mines and Aguada Blanca until arriving at Pampa Cañahuas, where the guide will explain on the flora and fauna of the zone, we will be able to appreciate the natural habitat of the South American camelids within them LA VICUÑA.
We will continue with the tour until arriving at a small stop in Patahuasi (house in the high) to take the hot coca tea, very for the height in where we will be. We will continue the trip towards the bofedales where they inhabit different species from birds as much local as migratory to the zone according to season, we will continue with our trip until arriving at Patapampa, highest point of the trip located to 4900 m.s.n.m approx. Which also how with the Viewpoint of the Andes, here different volcanos like Misti, HualcaHualca, Sabancaya, Ampato, Ubinas and Chachani can be seen.
At midday, we will be arriving at the town of Chivay where we will have lunch and then we will go to the hotel. We will have some time to rest and then we will meet and visit the thermal baths of La Calera.
These open-air baths have medicinal thermal water where you can enjoy a very relaxing moment after the morning bus ride.
After a prudent hour, we will return to the hotel to rest and spend the night in the town of Chivay.
Overnight in Chivay
Day 6: COLCA CANYON / FLOGHT OF THE CONDORS/ PUNO
Breakfast at the hotel.
06:00 am. Aprox – Pick up time from hotel.
After enjoying breakfast at the hotel, we will start the day's excursion to the Mirador de la Cruz del Condor, where you will be able to observe the majestic flight of the condors and the depth of the canyon. On this trip, we will stop in the town of YANQUE to observe its colonial church, Wititi dances and the typical costume of the area. On the way back to Chivay we will visit the towns of PINCHOLLO, MACA, ACHOMA, where the guide will explain to us the different customs of the area as well as the Lito models, colonial churches and terraces.
11:30 am approx. Arrival to Chivay.
11:45 am approx. Lunch
01:30 pm approx. We will take the bus to Puno. During the trip, the bus makes small excursions along the route, where we will be able to appreciate a little more of the fauna and flora on the way to Lake Titicaca.
Upon arrival in Puno, we will be assisted and transferred to the hotel.
Overnight in Puno.
Day 7: PUNO / TITICACA / UROS & TAQUILE ISLANDS
Breakfast at the hotel.
07:00 am approx - Pick up time from hotel.
Our staff will pick you up from the hotel and transfer you to the port of Lake Titicaca. Our local guide will be waiting for us with the boat to start our great adventure on Lake Titicaca. We will leave in the direction of Uros, on the way our guide will explain to us important points of this majestic lake, soon after we will arrive at the famous floating islands of the Uros.
We will make the excursion on the island of Uros, visiting its inhabitants and learning about the customs of these communities that live for years in the highlands.
After visiting these magical islands, we will return to the boat and continue our journey towards Taquile Island.
We will sail for approximately 3 hours on the Titicaca in the direction of Taquile, an enormous island that is characterized by its magnificent and beautiful textiles. Here you will have the opportunity to observe how the people of the island make splendid textiles such as ponchos, belts, gloves and other typical high Andean clothing, all hand-made. After appreciating these beautiful hand-made works, we will continue until we reach the top of the island, where we will walk along a beautiful, somewhat sloping path that offers spectacular views of the lake. The most advisable thing is to walk slowly, take it easy and enjoy as much as possible, since you are walking over 3800 meters high in a place of the world.
Approximately 45 minutes later, we will arrive at the center of Taquile, where we will finally rest and visit a small on-site museum, which through photos shows important aspects of the life of the people of Taquile. We will have lunch in a typical restaurant around the square. After lunch, the visitors will have free time to visit the weaving workshops and take pictures with the friendly locals.
In the afternoon, we will descend to the dock and start our return trip to Puno, arriving in the city at approximately 05:00pm.
Overnight in Puno
Day 8: PUNO – CUSCO “ROUTE OF THE SUN”
Breakfast at the hotel.
06:15 am approx - Pick up time from hotel.
You will be picked up from the hotel and will be transferred to the bus station in the Terrestre terminal in Puno.
Our tour to Cusco will last 10 hours approximately. Where we will have 4 excursions and guided visits to the most interesting places of the south of the altiplano visiting the temple of Andahuaylillas or Sistine Chapel of America, the Inka temple of Raqchi, the pass of La Raya at 4335 meters above sea level and the Inka Aymara museum of Pukara. Each visit lasts from 20 to 40 minutes, where you can ask questions, take pictures and explore the attractions of the place, making this an unforgettable experience.
We will arrive in Cusco at 4:30pm, be picked up from the bus station and be transferred to the hotel where we will spend the night
Overnight in Cusco.
Day 9: CITY TOUR CUSCO + 4 NEARBY RUINS
Breakfast at the hotel.
Free morning to acclimatize or do some shopping.
City tour in Cusco
Our transfer will visit you at your hotel to take you to the starting point of your tour, between 13:00 hrs and 13:30 hrs. The tour starts at the Cathedral of Cusco, decorated with fine carved woodwork and impressive altars and beautiful paintings, made by the hands of local artists from the Cusco School, who keep hidden elements of indigenous thought.
Then, we will take a short walk through the streets of the historical center towards the Qoricancha or Temple of the Sun considered an indigenous religious sanctuary. Where we will appreciate the fine work of lithic technology made by the Incas, with the highest level of cutting in hard stone without being able to insert a sheet of paper and that in spite of the earthquakes remain stable to date. After the visit to the Qoricancha we will board the bus that will take us to Sacsayhuaman located 3km. from the city of Cusco, Sacsayhuaman offers us a panoramic view of the city of Cusco, Sacsayhuaman was built with large blocks of limestone weighing from 25 to 130 tons. It is integrated by three terraces superimposed in a serpentine form (zigzag).
We will also arrive at Qenqo, which means labyrinth, is located one kilometer from Sacsayhuaman, establishes a construction based on limestone that shows stone sculpture in 500 mts2 accompanied by structures that according to historians served for the study of astronomy, religion and embalming and / or mummification.
Then we will know Puca Pucara: coming from two Quechua words that mean Puca (red) Pucara (fortress) "red fortress", strategic place for control and surveillance of access and exit of the Imperial city of Cusco, which was used as a territorial border to divide the regions and establish the regimes of displacement.
Finally, we will visit Tambomachay: a resting place, located 9 km from the city of Cusco, better known as the Baths of the Inca because of the water sources, or also known as the waters of eternal youth because of the constant flow of its waters, which offers us part of the Inca trail that goes from Cusco to Machupicchu. This city tour in the city of Cusco ends at 6:30 pm approximately near the Plaza de Armas.
Overnight in Cusco
Day 10: SACRED VALLEY FULL DAY TOUR
Breakfast at the hotel.
8:00 am approx - Pick-up time from the hotel.
We will start the day with the pick up of our participants from their hotels in Cusco. We will visit
Sacred Valley of the Incas, which is located on the bank of the Vilcanota River. We will visit the Inca citadel of Pisac, where we will appreciate platforms and architectural structures located on the slopes of that place and at the top of the mountain, we will return to the traditional village of Pisac to visit the Indian market, where we can learn about the customs of its inhabitants. We will have lunch in one of the traditional restaurant located in Urubamba, Sacred Valley of the Incas.
In the afternoon, we will visit the Fortress and Citadel of Ollantaytambo, built to guard the entrance to this part of the valley and protect it from invasion by the people from the eastern jungle. On the way back to Cusco, we will visit the picturesque traditional town of Chinchero, where the remains of the royal estate of Túpac Inca Yupanqui are located.
We will appreciate its well-preserved Inca walls in the main square and you will also appreciate the beautiful colonial temple with interesting frescoes on the porch, built on the foundations of an Inca construction.
Overnight in Cusco
Day 11: TRANSFER BY ITEP VAN FROM CUSCO TO KM 82 “INKA TRAIL ENTRANCE”
Meals: Lunch, snacks, afternoon tea and dinner.
Accommodation: Camping facilities.
Distance: 11kms/6.8 miles (6 hours more or less of hiking)
Walking Time: Approximately 6 hours (including picnic lunch in route)
Walk and Terrain: Walk, canter on open roads, some steep ascending.
After breakfast, we leave our hotel in Cusco in a private van, heading towards the start of the walk at km82. Upon arrival, the client will go through the formalities to enter the Inca Trail and begin the trek.
We will start at 2400 m.a.s.l. and ascend little by little. After two hours of walking, you will arrive at the archaeological ruins of Llactapata (2650 meters above sea level). Then, we will continue our journey towards the semitropical Valley of Wayllabamba.
After two hours, we will arrive at the archaeological zone of Wayllabamba, we will visit the site and, later, we will camp in the surroundings of the place, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Day 12: TREKKING “WAYLLABAMBA TO PACAYMAYUC/ RUNKURAQAY”
- Meals: Breakfast, water, lunch, snacks, afternoon tea and Dinner.
- Accommodation: Camping facilities.
- Distance: 16kms/10mls (9 hours more or less of hiking time)
- Difficulty: Moderate/challenge.
Early, after breakfast, we will begin the most difficult and demanding part of the route, with an exhausting climb of three to four hours, to reach the first pass called Warmiwañusca ("dead woman"), with an altitude of 4,200 m.a.s.l. At this point we will be able to admire an impressive view of the entire Huayllabamba and Pacaymayo valley where you will feel at the top of the world, it is in this place where the guide will perform a small ceremony of payment to the snowy mountains of Veronica and Wayanay, after the ritual with the coca leaves we will be descending the mountain for a period of one and a half hours to reach Pacaymayo (3,600 m.a.s.l.)
After lunch, the second steep two-hour climb to the Runkuraqay pass begins (almost 4000 m / 13,123 ft). We arrive at our campsite at 5 pm. Temperatures in this camp are 4ºC (41ºF) at night.
Day 13: TREKKING “PACAYMAYUC TO WIÑAYHUAYNA”
- Meals: Breakfast, water, lunch, snacks, afternoon tea and dinner.
- Accommodation: Camping facilities and cold showers.
- Distance: 10kms/6.2mls (5 hours more or less of hiking)
- Difficulty: Moderate
After breakfast, we will begin to ascend to the second pass of the Inca Trail, after an hour of walking we will arrive at the archaeological group of Runcuracay, place that was discovered in 1915 by the American explorer Hiran Binghan, the same one that we will visit, then we continue ascending the mountain and we will reach the second pass, from this place we will be able to appreciate the valley of Pacaymayo, Acobamba and the snow-capped mountains of the Pumasillo (6,000m). We will then descend the mountain to reach the third archaeological group of the Sayacmarca trail (3540 m.a.s.l.), which will be visited to continue the hike.
After 30 minutes we will arrive at the campsite of Chaquicocha, where we will have lunch. After a siesta we will continue to the pass of Phuyu Patamarca (3650 m.a.s.l.), from this place we will see the impressive mountain of Machupicchu where we will be taking a small break and you will be able to take some pictures. After 10 minutes of descent we will arrive to the archaeological group of Phuyupatamarca, Intipatay Wiñayhuayna from this place we will descend the mountain approximately 1,000 meters, in the course of the journey we will be enjoying the best example of the stone Inca road as well as the diversity of flora and fauna to finally arrive to the camp of Wiñayhuayna, place where we will be spending the third night.
Approximately 12º C. A few steps from our camp is the famous Inca site of "Wiñay Wayna" ("Young forever"). Even if you feel tired after the hike, it is a moment you cannot miss, as it is the most impressive site on the Inca Trail.
Day 14: TREKKING “WIÑAYHUAYNA – INTI PUNKU & MACHUPICCHU GUIDED TOUR”
Back to Cusco: You will descend to Aguas Calientes and later board the Expedition train to the Ollantaytambo Train Station “Train departure time can vary according train schedule and availability”. In Ollantaytambo Train station, you will meet our private van and be transferred to your hotel in Cusco.
Distance: 8.9kms/5.5mls “By Bus in 25 minutes”
Very early at 4:00 a.m. we will have breakfast to start the hike to Machupicchu at 5:00 a.m. on the way we will be able to see a diversity of flowers, begonias, orchids, ferns, etc, After an hour and a half of walking we will arrive at the door of the sun (INTIPUNKU) 2490 meters above sea level. It is one of the most impressive viewpoints of Machupicchu, 1 km from the archaeological group, it is the first point of view of the archaeological group of Machupicchu.
Then we will descend the mountain to arrive at the control of Machupicchu, where you will have a small free time so that you can use some services and you can leave your suitcases in the wardrobe, later you will visit with the guide the archaeological group of Machupicchu for a lapse of 2 hours approximately and finally you will have a free time to explore the place and to take the bus of return to the town of Aguas Calientes where you will be able to have lunch by your own and if the time allows it.
A relaxing bath in the thermal baths of Aguas Calientes is not included, it costs 10 soles, and finally you can board the train back to Ollantaytambo where we will be waiting to transfer you to Cusco.
You will also have time to enjoy some of the following activities on your own if you wish (not included in the price)
Day 15: CUSCO – LIMA
Breakfast at the hotel.
Transfer hotel - airport.
Flight Cusco – Lima.
Arrival to Lima.
Waiting at the airport for international flight.
End of our Services
- Transfer IN/OUT in Lima airport – hotel - airport
- 01 night hotel in Lima with breakfast
PARACAS, ICA, NASCA
- Transfer OUT from the hotel to the bus station
- Bus Lima - Paracas
- Ballestas Island tour
- Bus Paracas – Ica
- Tour in the Huacachina Oasis and sandboarding
- Bus Ica - Nazca
- 01 night hotel in Nazca with breakfast
- Nazca lines overflight
- Bus Nazca - Arequipa
- Transfer IN Arequipa bus station – hotel
- 02 night hotel in Arequipa with breakfast
- 01 night hotel in Chivay with breakfast
- Colca Canyon 2 days / 1 night tour
- Entrance fee to the Colca Canyon
- 02 lunches and 01 dinner in Chivay
- Touristic bus Chivay – Puno via 4M
- Transfer IN/OUT in Puno bus station – hotel - bus station
- 02 nights hotel in Puno with breakfast
- Titicaca Lake Full Day Tour + buffet lunch
- Route of the Sun Tour Puno - Cusco
- Transfer IN/OUT in Cusco bus station – hotel - airport
- 04 nights hotel in Cusco with breakfast
- Afternoon City Tour with visit and entrace fees to Sacsayhuaman, Qenqo, Tambomachay and Pukapukara
- Sacred Valley Full Day Tour with buffet Lunch; with visit and entrace fees to Pisaq, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero.
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your royal Inka Trail guide and group in our office for an orientation before your trek. At this time, we will provide you with the duffle bags, which will be carried by our Porters. The meeting will be at 6:00 PM the evening before the trip begins. In case you can´t come at this time “please let us know” to coordinate another time.
- Touristic Transport: You will be picked up from your hotel in Cusco in the morning and will travel by private transportation to PISCACUCHO the starting point of the Royal Inka Trail to Machupicchu.
- Adventure Experienced Royal Inka Trail Tour Guide: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. They all grew up in this region and have a true passion to teach others about their heritage. Your guide will explain the culture and surroundings along the entire route, including leading your group in ancient ceremonies! He or she will keep you safe, sound, and comfortable on your trek so that you can enjoy your time along the Inka path and will ensure you are safe and happy.
- Tour Guide in Machupicchu Cultural Experienced: English speaking, professionally educated, and official tour guide with tourism certification. For visit the sacred city of Machupicchu.
- Private campsites: Each campsite is carefully choosed for have a local experience.
- Night 1: Enjoy the 1st night in Wayllabamba on the route Royal Inka Trail and sleep in our 4 season Pro Aconcagua Doite tents. All our tents are 4 man tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you do not have to bring in dirt.
- Night 2: Enjoy the 2nd night in Pacaymayo on the route Royal Inca Trail and sleep in our 4 season Pro Aconcagua Doite tents. All our tents are 4 man tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you do not have to bring in dirt.
- Night 3: Enjoy the 3rd night in Wiñayhuayna on the route Royal Inka Trail and sleep in our 4 season Pro Aconcagua Doite tents. All our tents are 4 man tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you do not have to bring in dirt.
Note: It is not usual that the campsites, lodges or hotels change after the confirmation, however it can vary per government regulations and authorization, also for bad weather conditions and maybe because physical condition of our visitors: any changes in this matter ITEP travel will be informing you previously and as soon as possible.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by our porters and horses).
- Entry ticket to The Royal Inka Trail
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu Inka Site
- 1 Duffle Bag: Duffle bag will be provided as complementary so you can arrange your personal belongings, please in case you need extra porter there will be an extra charge to carry it during the tour please let us know in advance.
- Professional Trekking Chef: A professional chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant, will prepare all of your delicious meals along our journey on the Trail to replenish your energy every day. You will never go hungry!
- Meals: 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost) Please be in mind (1st breakfast and last lunch is not included”
- Boiled Water: Beginning from your first lunch until your last breakfast, Inka Trail Expeditions will supply all the water needed. This water will be boiled, filtered and then cooled, before distributing. You must supply your own water bottles or camel back. We recommend carrying about 3L worth. We will refill our waters at each meal.
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite, you will wake up with a cup of coca tea! Our staff will bring the tea to your tent so that you will be warmed from inside out before you start your day.
- Tea time daily during the Trek: Every afternoon before dinner, the cooks will provide our tea time with popcorn, biscuits, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, hot water, etc. After a long day of hiking, you will not have to wait until dinner to relax, warm up, and enjoy a bite to eat!
- Products for hygiene: You will be provided with a small towel before each meal to clean your hands and every morning will be also a bucket with warm water for washes your personal hygiene.
- Medical kit and Oxygen bottle: Our crew will bring a first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes “Machupicchu village” to Ollantaytambo train station (departure time is confirmed the day of briefing and it´s subject to availability)
- Transfer back to Cusco: Private touristic transport from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco (Day 4)
- 24-hour guest service: We have telephone service available 24 hours/day for ease of communication and preparation with the agency leading up to your trek.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Internacional and local light tickets
- Not mentioned meals
- Sleeping Bags: You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -18ºC (0ºF). They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use.
- Bus Consettur to Machupicchu inka City: Most of the times the wait to board the bus to Machupicchu is from 1 hour to 1:30 min, So we prefer that you decide a day before your visit to the Inca city of Machupicchu. If you wish to take the bus considering the waiting time. Alternatively, if you prefer to do the last stretch of ascent walking up 45 to 1 hour "everything will depend on your physical state, after the trekking done".
- Walking Sticks: You can rent a set from our company if you would like.
- Day 1: Breakfast: Approx. USD 5.00 to USD 10.00, Price can vary according your selection.
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes. Approx. USD 20.00 to USD 25.00, Price can vary according your selection.
- Personal clothing and gear
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for our staff: Please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish “Recommendation usd 6 to usd 8 per day per traveler for all the trek staff”- Once again it is optional and can vary according your satisfaction.
- Additional costs or delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.)
There are several optional upgrades you can include in this trip. Below is a quick list of it, but check our overview section for more details.
- Sleeping Bag – $25.00 USD per person per trek (It will be clean and warm)
- Walking Poles – $12.00 USD per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended)
- Vistadome Train Upgrade “Panoramic train” – $ 50.00 USD per person (Return Only)
- Huayna Picchu Sacred Mountain – $75.00 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Machu Picchu Sacred Mountain –$ 75.00 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Buffet Lunch Celebration in Santuary Lodge on the last day in Machupicchu. $40.00 USD per person (all fresh drinks are included)
- Original passport
- Sleeping bag
- Hiking shoes
- Rain jacket or poncho
- Sweater, globes and hat
- T – shirts and shirt
- Confortable pants
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- Sun block
- Camel bag or bpttle
- Insect repelent
- Personal medicines
- Short pants
- Walking poles
- Money in cash